04 December 2020

I am a conservative

 This morning, I posted a comment on my FB page. As I thought about what I had written, I realised that it sums up things I have thought for a long time. Perhaps it expresses what some others think, too. Here it is:


I AM A CONSERVATIVE

I am a conservative, that's true.

 I'm a conservative because I don't believe we're as smart as we think we are. (We're certainly not as good as we think we are.) 

I'm a conservative because in a broken world, things which have stood the test of time should carry some weight. 

I'm a conservative because history is littered with the corpses of those who thought themselves wise, right, or indispensable. 

I'm a conservative because when I was little, I used to take things apart...and could never quite get them back together again. 

I'm a conservative because I believe that people who can't get the hang of cleaning their room, or caring for their own families, probably shouldn't be trusted with cleaning the world or caring for others' families. 

I'm a conservative because the price of being left alone by others, is to allow them the right to be left alone by me. I don't want to rule the world. I don't even want to rule others. Life is the most wondrous game, and I'm content to let everyone in it try to figure it out as best as they can. 

I'm a conservative because I watched the Wizard of Oz, and read "The Emperor's New Clothes," and discovered rather early that we are masters at fooling others and ourselves. 

I'm a conservative because I respect people who have skin in the game (parents, soldiers, entrepreneurs) more than people who don't (scam artists and many politicians). 

I'm a conservative because even when people correctly spot problems, they aim too high (perfection/utopia) and are too committed to their own solutions (the narrative bias affects everybody) to actually fix what they see is broken. 

So, yes, I guess I am a conservative.

4 comments:

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

I am a *reluctant* conservative. I was a liberal for at least the first forty-five years of my life.

Mallory Fuhst said...

I wish it was possible to grab a beer with you and hear a deeper explanation of many of these points. I feel like there is wisdom here that I'm not quite grasping. But what (I think) I do understand, I respect and appreciate.

Fr. Gregory Hogg said...

Dear Mallory,

How good to hear from you! I often think back on that Ancient Great Philosophers class, and on your love for physics. When you're in the GR area, I'd welcome the chance to visit over a beer (or two, if it's a long conversation) :-). Thanks for being in my life!

Fr. Gregory Hogg said...

Dear Anastasia,

I was more on the left when I was a teenager. My dad was a very effective communicator; he let reason have its way with me. It also helps, being married. How many times have I begun arguments, only to see them lovingly smashed to bits by my bride! I have learned to be skeptical of my own abilities. Hence I am a conservative. :-)