09 January 2021

Maxims

 In this space, I will from time to time post maxims--short sayings that bear reflecting on. I make no claim that these originate with me; indeed, I am skeptical of anything I think of that has not been thought of, and tested, before.

These maxims occur in no particular order.

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. Any weapon you fashion and/or use against another, will be used against you.

    "Those who take up the sword, will perish by the sword." 


2. In this life, things are hidden under their opposite.


3. What people notice in a situation reveals at least as much about them, as it does about the situation.


4. Greater harm comes from the overcorrection of an error, than from the error itself.


5. We do not know as much as we think we know.


6. Suffering provides the opportunity for wisdom and salvation; ease provides the opportunity for folly and damnation.


7. The world is far more chaotic than our maps of it suggest. All our maps lie.


8. Stupidity is an equal opportunity employer.


9. What you fear will happen, will happen. Choose your fears wisely.


10. Most revolutionaries are broken-hearted lovers.


11. When narrative drives fact, problems quickly spiral out of control. (Chernobyl)


12. When power is concentrated, more progress is made. The question is, progress in which direction, and to what end?


13. One is never so close to sight as when one says, "I don't see." One is never in such deep darkness as when one says, "I see." (John 9; Socrates)


14. Truth stumbles, error marches. Truth whispers; error shouts. 


15. He who discovers how death is overcome, never fears.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

The stupidity one is funny. The "hidden under their opposite" makes me rethink every interaction I had today. Thanks for these...or am I really giving thanks?